Frequently Asked Questions
From what age do you coach Juniors?
We run courses that cater for children from 8 years upwards.
Who can I speak to about a medical condition?
As appropriate please either discuss with your coach if they should be aware (it is helpful if you record details on the My Details page), or with the club's membership and booking coordinator, contact details here.
What should I wear/bring to my paddlesport course?
Club kit & equipment
The club provides buoyancy aids, helmets, spraydecks, paddles and boats – so you don’t need to go out and buy lots of expensive gear to get started. But you will still need some basic kit to keep you warm and dry where possible. It might be nice and sunny when you get to the boat shed at 6.15 p.m., but it will be different by the time we get off the water!
What to wear
- Wetsuit (if you already have one or can borrow one).
- Wetsuit boots (if you already have them)
If you don’t have these, we recommend:
- Polyester or thermal top (not a cotton T-shirt, as this stays wet and gets cold)
- Fleeces for extra layers
- Windproof top, old cagoule or similar (doesn’t need to be 100% waterproof)
- Joggers or shorts (no jeans)
- Beach shoes or old trainers (not chunky ones. Laces must be properly tied and tucked in. Please don’t wear crocs or flip flops – you will lose them if you end up in the water)
OPEN CANOEISTS – you may wish to bring some knee pads, too, for extra protection/comfort.
You will also need:
- A complete change of dry and warm clothes for afterwards (including underwear and shoes)
- A towel or dry robe for getting changed
- A bag for your wet clothes
- Hot drink/snack for afterwards
You are also welcome to bring kit you already own – our coaches will be able to provide guidance as to any considerations you need to be aware of in its use.
Thinking of buying your own gear? Ask our coaches for their advice on what to get – and remember that TCC members are eligible for 10% discount at AS Watersports in Exeter.
Does the club offer storage of private boats?
We unfortunately don't have room to offer this.
Can I hire or borrow any kit?
Use of club boats and equipment is free to full members while on Club Training Courses, Club Paddling Trips or Peer Group trips.